ARCH 436 CASE STUDIES IN SOCIAL HOUSING AND COMMUNITY PLANNING
Mondays 09:00-12:20 @ B-121
Inst. SÄ±la KARATAÅ BAÅOÄLU
DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE:
This course aims to develop an understanding on the general concepts of social housing and community planning from design and planning to spatial and social formation for the students of architecture. The course deals with economic and social interventions as well as spatial actions in social housing as an operative field at the disciplinary intersection of architecture, urban design and planning. Surveying and analyzing social housing projects from different countries forms the essential part of the course.
To familiarize students with:
- theories and practices on social housing
- general concepts of social housing and community planning
- collaboration and participation practices in social housing initiatives, self-sufficient neighbourhoods, sustainable neighborhoods
- neighbourhood and housing regeneration and transformation
- tools and processes of social housing production from architectural design to neighborhood and community planning practices
- methods of gathering information social housing developments and community planning practices
- methods of spatial and social analyses on architectural, urban and neighbourhood scales related to social housing production
ORGANIZATION OF THE COURSE:
The course is formed of lectures on the notion of housing and community planning specifying in the field social housing, and tutorials on gathering data on different concepts, instruments, types and developments of social housing and community planning together with tutorials on various representation techniques of analyses in social housing at different scales.
Students are asked to study a social housing project in detail by collecting information on its development including policies, financing, land value and cost, land use, property, architectural and urban program, design development, instruments of neighborhood development and community planning. In this sense, course hours will be reserved for lectures and discussions on student presentations on case studies.